Friday, July 16, 2010

Discipline

God has been working on my heart so much lately. Let me tell you---> It isn't easy. It is discouraging to see how many faults I still have. I have been really discouraged lately due to some life circumstances coupled with a heightened sense of my flaws. I think the circumstances, and my attitude towards them, have shown me the condition of my heart. I have realized how entitled I feel because I am a Christian. Sometimes I want life to be easy, comfortable. I have been feeling like I am doing something "wrong" because of the circumstances that I am in. Today God showed me that thinking is my small perspective. A lot of the time, circumstances (as long as they aren't due to consequences from choices that you made) are used to mold you, shape you, to be more like Christ. They can also be equipping you for a different phase of your life. I heard an awesome message today, which led me to study the verses further after I got home. In my Bible Study I came across this quote and it was much what I needed to hear:

Faith doesn’t make life easy; it helps us be faithful through the difficult times. -Henry Neufeld

I will leave you with these verses, which have greatly impacted me today ( I bolded the parts that really spoke to me):

Hebrews 12:1-6, 11
[1]Therefore, since we have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race set before us,

[2]fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

[3]For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart,

[4]You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;

[5]and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,
"MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;

[6] "FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."

[11]All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness."



2 comments:

  1. I love this post Josie. I wrote those verses down. You're such an encouraging woman. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging verses...I like how transparent you are. IT is encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete