Sunday, August 1, 2010

Worry

Worry by definition means a state of anxiety and uncertainty over actual or potential problems. Worry is so pointless that it doesn't even have to be over something that is real. Unfortunately, one of my biggest weakness is worry. I have worried over the same problem for almost a year now. Can I tell you what is has accomplished for me... absolutely NOTHING. In fact, the situation has only got worse. Looking back I can't believe how much time, energy, tears, and sadness I have given this situation. I have let it rob me of so much precious time and for what? Thankfully, a lot of good has come out of this situation. That is how gracious that our God is.

Even though my situation hasn't changed, my perspective has. Saying you trust God and actually trusting Him are two completely different things. I can honestly say that right now I am at a point where I trust God completely. I have read these verses a million times before, but they mean so much to me right now:

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, that surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hears and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6,7

God knows my needs. Once I have made them known to Him (not because He doesn't know them, but because I need to show my dependence to Him) I need to trust that He will take care of them. That is it. I don't need to worry about it anymore. I need to accept the peace that comes with knowing Christ and having a relationship with Him.

The biggest lesson that I have taken away from this situation is that I spend far too much time worrying about temporal things. All the time and energy that I spent dedicated to my worry could have been spent for something eternal---->The salvation of the people I care about that don't know Christ. I have learned (and trust me this isn't a one time lesson) that I need to live more for eternity. Just like it says in Colossians 3:1,2 "Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."

3 comments:

  1. I seriously needed to hear ALL of this Josie. Thanks so much for posting it. :) I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie I feel like you wrote this for ME! I so needed to hear it. I struggle with worry so much. I've learned that I worry because I have a deep desire to be in control of situations. I need to let this desire, and my worrysome nature, completely go and just depend on God for everything. I say this so often, but leading in out, in heart, mind, spirit, and action is a completely different thing. Thanks so much for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome girls, it is all God, not me :) This is just what He has been teaching me. It is good to know I am not alone in the struggle.

    ReplyDelete